Many of you may know someone who is gluten-free. It may a choice or a need to be healthy. We understand these challenges and want everyone to enjoy our twists. While you chow down on your twists, gluten-free or not, check out these gluten-free fast facts as printed by JournalStar.com.
1. Celiac Disease affects as many as 3 million people in the United States. The only treatment for celiac disease is a lifelong gluten-free diet.
2. Fifteen to 25 percent of U.S. consumers report looking for gluten-free products. (US New & World Report, 2009)
3. The National Restaurant Association’s annual “What’s Hot” Top 20 Trends for 2012 ranks gluten-free seventh among the top food industry developments for the coming year.
4. According to Technomic food service industry facts and insights, gluten-free menu items grew 61 percent between 2010 and 2011, reflecting greater consumer demand.
5. According to Packaged Facts, this segment of the U.S. retail marketplace enjoyed and average growth rate of 30 percent over the 2006-10 period.
6. According to SPINS market research, gluten-free product sales exceeded $6.2 billion in 2011.