This past December, a 7th grade girl in the Chicago area died from ingesting a lunch at school she thought was made in a nut-free facility. The peanut oil used in her Chinese food caused her to go into anaphylactic shock where she was then immediately rushed to the hospital.
With the prevalence of food allergies increasing rapidly, nut-free facilities are slowly but surely becoming a much-needed staple for food manufacturers everywhere. Not only are peanut allergies extremely common, they have also been known to have some of the most severe reactions possible including dangerous breathing complications and reactions affecting multiple areas of the body.
This incredibly sad story and the staggering statistics attached to this important issue only strengthens our commitment here at Kim and Scott’s to making all of our gourmet pretzels in a dedicated nut-free facility. We always want to make our pretzels as available as possible to those who love them, so by baking in a nut-free facility, we are able to provide the 3 million+ Americans suffering with peanut allergies, a safe and nutritional snack.
We hope our nut-free facility helps keep gourmet pretzels in the running for all those consumers out there struggling with food allergies who are searching to find a delicious and safe snack to enjoy. We know it may seem like no company out there thinks about people with food sensitivities, but there are a few of them out there and we are proud to say we are one of them!